GATE Material Search

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My IIT Kanpur Experience

Before I had my interview at IIT Delhi (in 2008), I also appeared for written test/interview at IIT Kanpur. That trip to IIT Kanpur was one of the most tough yet memorable trip of my life. I will try to recall my experience with the selection procedure at IIT Kanpur. Maybe it will be helpful to people going to IITK this year.




If I remember correctly, the approximate cutoff that year for IIT Kanpur M. Tech CS, in terms of rank was about AIR 350 (for open category). The number of seats (total) were around 50. I received an email from IIT Kanpur on 6th May and the written test/interview were to be held on 23rd and 24th May. I was working in Pune then, and I found it really difficult to get train tickets to Kanpur, that being the vacation season. Somehow I landed up in Kanpur after a 36 hour journey on the morning of 23rd.
After getting accommodation and taking some rest, we proceeded for the written test. The written test started at 9 AM. It was a 3hr objective type test. Toughness of the test was comparable to that of GATE. There was a lot of emphasis on Discrete Maths, Probability, Maths, C and programming etc.


I think interview were the most tough part of the selection process. There were about four professors in a room and they were grilling candidates for 15 to 20 minutes each. The professors had a bias towards Discrete Maths, Probability and TOC. Any guy who mentioned any of these as his favorite subject was bombarded with some really tough questions. So the general strategy was to stay away from mentioning these subjects. The professors were not at all interested in OS, DBMS or networks and they regarded these as "easy" subjects. Finally it was my turn. The first question that I was asked was a Dynamic Programming question. At that time my understanding of DP was very weak and I knew then that my chances here are not that good. After I wasn't able to solve it, they then asked me some questions on Merge Sort etc. I was not answering these questions very confidently and they managed to confuse me pretty badly. The worst part about the interview was that they didn't allow me to do any rough work on my own and asked me to use the whiteboard for rough work. This was very tough to do with four professors staring at me.

When the results were declared after a couple of days and I wasn't selected I wasn't surprised. Later during my M. Tech at IIT Delhi we worked a lot on recursion and DP. I then realised that the IITK interview question was not that tough after all...




Like my facebook page below to keep in touch with me. I will keep posting any links/resources relevant to M. Tech. You can also ask questions you might have on the Facebook page, and I will try to answer.

39 comments:

  1. Nice post. For MTECH CS does all the IIT's have good campusing record or only Delhi and Bombay is fine? I am very much confused about mtech cs campusing in IITM and IITKgp. I can not decide whther to go those IITs or reject if I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, all iits have good campus for mtech cs. there is slight difference between campus in iitd & iitb verses other iits but its not enough to reject an offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I have good score to get in IIT.
    I have 58% in 10th, my question is , will low marks in 10th affect me in placement at IIT.
    Do companies consider 10th percentage or just M.Tech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @above

    cant say for sure, will depend on companies. but i dont think it should matter much, provided you manage to get a good CGPA in mtech. some research companies may have a problem with that, since they want a very high academic record, but most other companies should be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im on the verge of completing my second year cs branch is it the right time for me to prepare for gate2012 and what subjects should I focus more?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @above, you can start preparing if you have completed the basic computer science courses like OS, architecture, discrete maths and networks. focus on these subjects for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi sir,Im attending for IITKGP interview, can u please guide me to get succeed.......which topics they focus on...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, i am aking this question just out of curiosity.. What was the Dynamic Programming question asked at IITK?? I mean can u plz tell us the question if u remember..

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi I'm aishwaria and i jus saw ur blog wen i was browsing about the number of seats at iitk.. I have been short-listed to the written test on may 24th. I'm a biotechnology student and do u know any idea about the number of M.tech biotech seats at IITK? and what subjects do they cover for the written test?? kindly help me..

    ReplyDelete
  10. @anonymous, sorry dude, i have no idea about iitkgp interviews.

    @Gaurav, the question was finding the longest non-decreasing subsequence in a given integer array. pretty basic!!!

    @aishu, sorry no idea about bio-tech at iitk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. i google the problem and found really confusing solution..
    There is only one solution available
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_increasing_subsequence
    I found it really confusing.. can u please explain little bit of it??
    Is it using LCS algorithm??

    ReplyDelete
  12. @gaurav

    i have faced the same question @IIT D interview.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    I am selected for in both iitk and iitd for mtech
    Can any one tell me which iit i should go for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hii ritesh
      can u tell me what score u got last year
      and AIR
      thanks

      Delete
  14. @ritesh,

    congrates for getting selected both in iitk and iitd. both are really good. a few differences are that iitk mtech is more thesis oriented while iitd is more course oriented.

    go for iitk if you are more interested in research, go iitd if you are more worried about placement. (not that you will not get good placement in iitk but iitd is slightly better)

    also, if you have a specific interest, see which iit has better profs for that subject to make your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi,
    i have
    78% at 10th
    73% at 12th
    57% at BE(CSE)
    Can i get into IIT's for M.tech(CS) if i score really well at GATE. pls reply

    ReplyDelete
  16. @above
    unfortunately a lot of courses have 60% as cutoff for btech percentage. but if u do get a very good gate score, i would suggest you still apply for them.
    some courses may have lower than 60% cutoff. you should get into such courses. go through the PG prospectus of iit to get the details

    ReplyDelete
  17. aggr BE = 57%
    degree BE(with grace)=60% (50% of 5th,6th sem and 100% of 7th and 8th sem)
    Can i get admission for mtech (CS) at iits

    ReplyDelete
  18. @above,

    I think if your degree percentage is 60, then it should not be a problem. but again, all courses in all iits have different rules. once you get your GATE score and know where you are going to apply, check with someone in that iit to make sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,

    can a student with EC background and a good rank in GATE ECE apply for Mtech CS in IITs

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Keerthi Kiran,
    Most IITs allow other branches in Mtech CS as long as the GATE score is in CS. There are a few exceptions. Each course in each IIT is free to have their own rules. So you need to carefully go through the prospectus of each IIT to see what are the rules for a particular course.

    ReplyDelete
  21. can any one share the interview questions asked in iit delhi ( rock and underground structures ...... i hv to appear in interview on april 5

    ReplyDelete
  22. Got 86% in high school and 87% in 12th
    72% in btech EC
    609 in gate 2012
    What is prospects of getting an IIT with a compatible branch. Suggestions will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  23. has iit D has published the shortlisted candidates list

    ReplyDelete
  24. Got 90.5% in 10th and 78.1% in 12th
    7.91/10 CGPA in B.Tech ECE.
    Working for a major IT company for two years as a software engineer.
    Wish to go for M.Tech in Computer Science. Is it possible to get a chance into IITs if I can secure a decent score in GATE?
    Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I got call for iit kgp my branch is CSE please guide me...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I got call for iit kgp my branch is CSE please guide me...

    ReplyDelete
  27. plz suggest about rock interview questns at iitd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "rock interview questions", didnt get you?

      Delete
  28. i got 64% in 10tg,
    43% in 12th
    71% in diploma cs,
    68% in BE.
    Nw m preparing for mtech, my lowr % in 10 n 12 th will affect my placement aftr mtech nw my age is 26, workng in small softwr firm. Plz sir rply me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. though some of the companies check for longg academic background,there are some companies who not muchbothered.Since yiu are applying for mtech try to score in mtech.All the best..

    ReplyDelete
  30. What is the criteria of Companies like adobe,amazon,Cisco,GOOGLE during placements for m.tech cse at IITS.do they shortlist students on basis of m.tech cgpa or consider BE also. please reply..help me...waiting for an reply..

    ReplyDelete
  31. HI
    i have good percentage in 10th & 12th
    but 55% in btech(GM)CATEGORY ,if i score very good gate score,can i get mtech seat in iits,im keen intersetd to do in iits only so pls help me out
    tanks in advance

    Reply

    ReplyDelete
  32. HI
    i have good percentage in 10th & 12th
    but 55% in btech(GM)CATEGORY ,if i score very good gate score,can i get mtech seat in iits,im keen intersetd to do in iits only so pls help me out
    tanks in advance
    if not give some suggestions pls.....it s an humbel request
    Reply

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, I am having 2+ yr experience in C/C++ domain. I have done my B.Tech in instrumentation. I have applied for M.Tech(Part Time) in IIT Delhi. Can you please let me know what should I prepare for the written test and interview if i get a call for one. If possible drop me a mail at pankajchugh.87@gmail.com. Any guidance would be of great help

    ReplyDelete
  34. can any one tell me the medium(language) for the interview
    because my english is not very good (well this is embarrassing) and i am selected by most of the iits for interview/written test.

    ReplyDelete
  35. well english is the medium for interviews and teaching. but if you are not comfortable, dont worry. if you have typed the above sentence yourself, i think your english is good enough. if you find it really difficult to explain yourself in english, ask the professor if you can speak in hindi, probably he might allow.

    ReplyDelete
  36. thanx for reply

    yes i have typed it myself

    i just have problem in speaking english fluently

    ReplyDelete